Write Your Candidate about #VoteLibraries
The #VoteLibraries campaign asks library supporters across the UK to take the pledge to support candidates who will put libraries on the agenda in Westminster. If you believe that libraries matter in our communities, please take the next step and tell your candidates what you want to see in your constituency. We have made it easy to let your parliamentary candidates know how central their support for libraries is this election. Please take a moment to send them a message. It’s quick, free and easy to use Who Can I Vote For to send your message today.
We’ve created the following example for you to use as inspiration. Please feel free to modify it for your constituency.
I am writing today to encourage you to clearly demonstrate your support for libraries as you stand for election. I believe that libraries transcend political parties and politics and that our librarians need stable funding to do their life-changing work well. I intend to #VoteLibraries this December.
My preferred candidate is the person who is committed to supporting:
- Increased financial support to Local Government for libraries, supporting the Local Government Association call for a fair and sustainable funding settlement;
- A long-term improvement in funding to schools, colleges and Universities, enabling learning providers to invest in their library and information professional workforce;
- Improve funding and policy for prisons, ensuring that they address prisoner education through libraries alongside the traditional ‘crime and punishment’ agenda of Government;
- Fair and sustainable funding to the Devolved Nations to ensure that devolved powers are matched by greater fiscal autonomy and sufficient resources;
- Increased funding to Health Education England (HEE) to implement the findings of the independent Topol Review, including increasing the library and knowledge specialist workforce.
I would appreciate your reply and look forward to hearing about your position on libraries.
Libraries Deliver and the #VoteLibraries campaign is an initiative of CILIP, the library and information association, supported by the EveryLibrary Institute with funding from Arts Council England. #VoteLibraries is a non-party, pro-library campaign. Please take a moment to write to your parliamentary candidates to ask them to #votelibraries. Then, share this page on Facebook and Twitter.