Under the leadership of literacy campaigner and Peer Lord John Bird, CILIP and The Big Issue have joined forces to launch a new evidence-based report calling on Central Government to build the future by investing in public libraries.
Titled Public Libraries: The Case for Support, the report brings together the best available evidence of the wide-ranging impact of public libraries on people’s lives.
This report highlights how libraries deliver on:
- Place-shaping and inclusive economic growth
- Education, informal learning and skills
- Health, wellbeing and social care
- Digital skills and getting online
- Enterprise and business support
- Poverty prevention, social mobility and social isolation
The report endorses the message in Library Champion Bobby Seagull’s Manifesto for Libraries that Government needs to build a stronger future for public libraries by securing funding for Councils and creating a new National Library Improvement Fund with a capital budget of up to £50m a year for 5 years.